About This Blog

The purpose of the blog is to analyze and comment on the various aspects of Films, Music, and Sports. Project Mayhem is the name of an organization in the film "Fight Club." The organization is formed to rid the world of cultural norms, or what is expected and wanted of a person to fit into a community. Through this blog, I hope that the analysis of these media produce a similar effect: ridding public opinions of stereotypes or predetermined conclusions regarding these media without proper evidence. So, please, add input, correct mistakes, give your ratings/opinions, and open your mind...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Day to Remember- What Separates Me from You

I was expecting a lot of this fourth studio album entitled What Separates Me from You from one of my favorite artists, pop punk/post-hardcore A Day to Remember. These expectations were largely due to their previous 2009 release, Homesick. Homesick is an incredible album in itself combining ADTR's signature bold vocals, a combination of poppy lighter vocals with the hardcore deep sound they are known for, with their unrelenting guitar riffs and drum beats. The depth of the entire sound of ADTR is unlike any band that falls in the remote vacinity of their genre. Homesick's tracks release that depth of sound in harder tunes like "The Downfall of Us All", "My Life for Hire", and "Holdin' it Down for the Underground", as well as softer and acoustic tracks like "Have Faith in Me" and "If it Means a Lot to You". Like I said previously, What Separates had big shoes to fill, as Homesick is easily one of my favorite albums of all-time. As What Separates only came out a few months ago on November 15, I have not listened to it near the amount as I did Homesick, but from what I have listened to, they continued the trend of greatness with poise.


Track Listing:
1. "Sticks & Bricks"
2. "All I Want"
3. "It's Complicated"
4. "This is the House that Doubt Built"
5. "2nd Sucks"
6."Better Off This Way"
7. "All Signs Point To Lauderdale"
8. "You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic"
9. "Out of Time"
10."If I Leave"

Notable songs off this new album include "All I Want", "2nd Sucks", and "Better Off This Way." "All I Want" easily has the potential to become a classic as it was the first single put out on the album. The album peaked at #11 on the US Billboard Top 200 and has sold 130,000 copies in the US as of Dec. 2010, myself purchasing one of those copies. I also planning on attending their Kansas City stop of their What Separates Me From You Tour at the end of March.

The "All I Want" music video premiered on MTV on Jan. 6, 2011. The video is intriguing as it features numerous other rock and punk band members from other bands singing the lyrics to the song. Here is that video:

<><>
The band members (Jeremy McKinnon, Alex Shelnutt, Kevin Skaff, Neil Westfall, and Joshua Woodard) also made their recent tv debut appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! where they performed "All I Want":



and "Better Off This Way":



Whether or not What Separates Me From You lives up to Homesick's intensity and overall good sound remains to be seen. Or heard. However you look at it.

-Jarid Holliday

No comments:

Post a Comment